long day

Bill woke on Sunday with an eye infection. The doctor prescribed eye drops but they were ineffective. We started Monday at the opthamologist at 9:30 and then were kicked up to the surgeon at Mlidwest eye immediately. We spent the day in waiting rooms and then Bill had emergency eye surgery at 5:00 today and is too miserable.. He should be feeling better in a few days but won’t know if his vision (right eye) will return for possibly months. Fortunately I had grabbed a good book to bring with me.

Posted by Susan on 11/05 at 09:34 PM

Next entry: Still planning to have CC

Previous entry: Ellie Gramer obit in today’s star

Scary!  And no idea of what caused the infection?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/06  at  09:42 AM

A prior eye surgery had left a thin area on the surface of his eye. This infection (possibly staph from his skin)is agressive and entered his eye and he now has cellulitis around his eye socket. He is on antibiotics and had an intravenous IV yesterday before surgery. They send off a sample to see what exactly the bacteria is. Bill may not have been careful with his hygiene when he put drops in his eyes. WASH YOUR HANDS! And don’t rub your eyes.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/06  at  10:15 AM

Oh my, how frightening - good thing he got to the dr when he did.  Good advice about eye hygiene.

Off to vote.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/06  at  10:23 AM

Back to the doctor on Tuesday. After being told the day before about how careful we needed to be (wash hands in antibiotic lotion; wash linens with bleach; change pillow cases daily, etc.) I was shocked when the neither the doctor nor his assistant washed their hands when seeing Bill. when the assistant got out a new eye patch and actually touched the surface with her fingers I finally spoke up.  I said oughten you wash your hands and then said I saw her touch the bandage with her fingers. She reported that she would be glad to wash her hands and she did and got out a new bandage. So Bill has this terrible infection and then they will go to see the next patient. HELLO! I may talk to someone about this careless attitude. The doctor says the prognosis is guarded. Bill may not regain his sight and could even lose his eye. Bill has two appointments on Friday which I need to take him to and I now have a slight cold.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/07  at  03:58 PM

Sorry to hear about Bill but happy to hear you were on top of making the assistant wash her hands. I put drops in my eyes every day and will be mre careful. See you tonight. Lots to tell. NO ENGAGEMENT with the boys but a cousin’s wedding I’m thrilled about!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/08  at  08:08 AM